Tuesday, February 16, 2010

February 15th




Time is going so quickly. We’ll be coming home before we know it. I can’t wait for our last week. Traveling will be so amazing! We are planning to go to Caye Caulker and San Pedro with Dari and Howard. They will be great tour guides and free tour guides!

Thursday night we all got together and went out to eat at Waluco’s. Their food is amazing. Karaoke and pool were also a big attraction. Elena came out there with us and it was a perfect, clear night. We took the food over to the pier and ate out there. It felt so nice to be outside by the water with the stars above us. From here, there are tons of bright, orange planets glowing. It’s gorgeous.

On Friday all eight of us volunteered at St. Benedicts Valentine’s Day carnival. They had the army come out and make these booths out of leaves and sticks. It was so amazing. They also had beer tents out there, big grills, and it was all full of games and food for the kids. There were buses from St. Peter Claver that brought more kids out to this school. I can’t even imagine how much money the school made that day. It was amazing! I worked at one of the games and it was so busy that I was literally dripping sweat… Pretty gross but really fun. I honestly think the kids down here are more adorable than anywhere else.

Ty and I left early from the school on Friday because we went to Placencia together for Valentine’s weekend. It was the perfect day. We got there early. The bus wasn’t too full and the water taxi is always fun and relaxing to ride on. I couldn’t even believe how gorgeous it was. It felt like I was seeing that town for the first time, not the third. When we got there we immediately got outside in our suits. The water is so great there. It was perfectly calm. It was nice to be alone. We didn’t even realize how different it is being in a group because we’ve been used to it. It’s nice to make plans with one other person and not have to worry about anyone else.

Friday night we went out to eat at RumFish. It was so delicious. We had conch fritters. I can’t believe that I even ate it, but it was one of the greatest things that I’ve eaten since we’ve been down here. After dinner we went out to the Tipsy Tuna. The bar is inside and completely enclosed, but they have sand floors. It is so fun to listen to the live music down here and play pool and drink some Belikin and Lighthouse. I was so relaxed. Everyone is so friendly when you go out. Ty and I literally talked to every person in that bar and they are all down to earth and have great stories to tell.

Saturday morning we, of course, got up early and got some breakfast. Ty got a stuffed fry jack again. Those are so good! I hope to God that I know how to make those by the time I leave here. Then we went and rented a couple scooters. It was so fun to get to drive a vehicle. We looked like big white nerds, but it was fun! We stopped out at this resort that was far away called Turtle Inn. It was unreal. They have all thatched roofs and parts of it are sandy and have trees like you’re outside. It’s nuts! Ty and I went and got two beers each and it was $50. We did get to walk around there and see these places that are thousands of dollars for free, but we didn’t expect that! People don’t care what you do down here. We were driving back toward town on the scooters and there were a couple Mayan women looking for rides in to sell their little trinkets and Ty pulled up to me and said we should pick them up. I thought it was a great idea so we slowed down and asked them if they wanted to jump on the bikes. They thought it was hilarious but really fun. They were sweethearts and it was fun to cruise back into town making even more of a scene than when we left.

This weekend was an Art Festival down in Placencia so we walked around and looked at all the little art stands. I didn’t see much that I needed, but everything there was interesting to look at. These families are so talented! There was also a beer tent with live music and they had flame dancers. I love walking around in Belize. No matter where you are there is music playing. My life is a musical.

Saturday night Ty and I took a boat out to the island and had dinner out there. I could’ve died on that dock. I guess it got messed up from the earthquake a while ago, but it was completely uneven and there were boards missing. The boat ride over there was free and the food was really good. The bartender made friends with us and bought us a drink. It interesting that everyone we’ve talked to seems to have lived in the states at some point or had part of their family living there. They all come back to Belize. I think I will too!

Sunday morning we got massages. That place is so amazing. They had a new room there that was a screened in porch. There is a pool behind there with fountains that we could hear. They play relaxing music. Alli would love it in Placencia. Next time I come, she has to come with me.

Coming back on the bus is always interesting. We left earlier in the day so it was not as packed-thank God! I just can’t believe that I haven’t driven in two months. That’s nuts. I hope I remember how to when I get back. Here I just bike everywhere. I bike to the beach, the boys house, school… literally everywhere. Otherwise we just take public transportation like the bus or water taxis. There are very few cars in this town.

I think what I’ll miss is just how easy life is here. Everything is slow and laid back. No one is rushing. There aren’t a million people everywhere…

One thing I am excited for it working again. When I was working at the Valentine’s fair I was dripping sweat but loving it because it was a little job for me. The best part of a job – a paycheck – will be nice too.

We are planning out the last week of traveling. I really want to go to the zoo and pet a tapir! That is my goal. I think we’ll be hitting San Pedro and Caye Caulker. It should be really great. I am going to spend my last night of the trip here with Elena. I know I will be crying on my last day. I am already dreading it. I have been planning my last week of teaching. My last day will be amazing. Ever since I brought in pictures of me and my Grandpa Jerlow with the high snow they are obsessed with my grandpa coming to visit. They made Valentine’s for John. J They are so cute. They can’t understand that he isn’t going to be visiting. I wish that everyone could come and see these kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment